Kahramaa Awareness Park, Doha, Qatar
KAHRAMAA Awareness Park (KAP) is a water and electricity awareness museum that has officially opened its doors to the public in April of 2017. It follows the goals of Qatar National Vision QNV2030 represented in the Qatar National Program for Conservation and Energy Efficiency “Tarsheed” – the national umbrella for conservation and efficient use of water and electricity in Qatar. Owned and operated by Qatar’s General Electricity & Water Corporation (KAHRAMAA), KAP is a state-of-the-art green building, seeking to educate its guests about water & electricity consumption, use, and production. In addition, it highlights modern technologies that can enhance our way of life, while improving our outlook to the future. This includes the exploration of alternative energies, smart homes, smart metering, and smart electrical & water networks. KAP’s mission is to encourage and empower all people in Qatar to make their homes, workplaces, and lifestyles reflect a sustainable, efficient, and environmentally friendly nation.
KAP building attained LEED Certification & 5-star QSAS Commercial Design Certification in the Green Building at Solutions Conference and Exhibition, Doha 2012. It also won Energy Globe Award 2015 for the State of Qatar for Best Sustainable Building. The Awareness Park meets all the technical requirements set by the committee. Considering the urban connectivity, the building develops effective measures to minimize obstruction of daylight. It provides landscape that encourages green and fights desertification. As for energy and water, the building applies efficient lighting, cooling, plumbing, and irrigation systems.
KAHRAMAA Awareness Park objectives:
- To enhance the awareness of the consumers on the importance of adopting precautionary steps towards conserving the consumption of both Electricity & Water, with special concentration on the school and University students sector as it represents the future of Qatar.
- To stimulate consumers for conservation of both Electricity & Water and highlight on the methods and procedures of rationalizing the consumption with continuous updating on all upcoming new methods and procedures.
- To demonstrate in an attractive way the processes of electricity generation and water desalination industry from the sea water in Qatar with illustration of all stages from production to distribution including transmission and storage.
- To urge consumers in order to reduce the per capita consumption of Electricity and Water and reach the international per capita rate of consumption.
- To form an additional innovative source, entertainment and leisure space for the consumers specially children at early ages.
Museum website: www.km.com.qa